Upgraded, CYGWIN *much* slower

Igor Pechtchanski pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Wed Apr 16 01:36:00 GMT 2003

Matt,

On Tue, 15 Apr 2003, Matthew W. Roberts wrote:

> > What OS are you running?
> Windows 2000 Professional Ver 5.0 Build 2195 Service Pack 3
>
> > Which version of Cygwin did you have before?
> Sorry, but I can't remember.  It's been a couple of months or so
> since I last updated.  There were quite a few packages that
> upgraded.

FYI, you can look in /var/log/setup.log -- it keeps track of every setup
invocation and is appended.  For the details of the last upgrade, see
/var/log/setup.log.full

> > Where is the "cygcheck -svr" output?
>
> Attached, as requested.  I used mutt to attach, hopefully it did it
> right.
>
> > What are the symptoms/triggers of the slowdown -- is it just
> > "perceived" slowness, or do you have the timings?
>
> Unfortunately, I don't have any timings -- the slowness is "perceived".
>
> One example:  I've a shell script that scans a mailbox for Subject:
> and From: lines and prints them:
>
> #!/bin/sh
>
> # Need a command line argument: the file name to scan
> [ $# -gt 0 ] || exit
>
> test -s $1 && (printf "\nMail in $1:\n\n"; grep ^From: $1; echo "---"; grep ^Subject: $1)
> # END SCRIPT
>
> It was fairly slow before (slower than on Linux, anyway).  Now there
> is a noticeable (3-4 second) delay after it prints out before I get
> back to the command line.
>
> That seems to be the general theme.  Much longer startup and exit
> times for programs.  They aren't noticeably slower when I use them,
> they just take a lot longer to start up and to dump me back to the
> command line.

You could use the "strace" utility to see where the delays are...  Also,
see if you have network paths in your PATH, as mentioned in
<http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.html#SEC33>.

Hope this helps,
	Igor

--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty.
  -- Leto II