Cygwin Volunteers (WAS: Re: A request?)

Rolf Campbell rcampbell@tropicnetworks.com
Fri Apr 18 17:21:00 GMT 2003

Randall R Schulz wrote:
> Rolf,
> At 20:40 2003-04-17, Rolf Campbell wrote:
>> Could the w32api source be bundled into the source package so we(the
>> royal we) don't have to download some arbitrary version of w32api, and
>> then do some renaming and moving?
> What's wrong with <http://www.cygwin.com/packages/w32api/>?
To Quote the FAQ:
As of this writing, you need to install at least the cygwin source
package and the w32api source package. The winsup source package should
be extracted first and the w32api source directory should be extracted
into the resulting 'winsup' directory. Then rename w32api-whatever to
w32api.

First of all, there's no easy way to figure out which w32api you need to
build a specific version of cygwin.  Second, you need to do some 'magic'
to the package after you download it (copy it, rename it).

Twice in the past, I've downloaded the cygwin-src package, tried to
compile it, then when it didn't work, decided it wasn't worth the
effort.  The hard part should be coding, not building.

You might be saying to yourself: "If this dope can't even take the time
to rename some directory, what does he expect to contribute to this
project."  Which is kind of a valid point, and all projects have some
required complexity, I see this as unnecessary.