Is Cygwin really required?

Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc.) lhall@rfk.com
Sun Apr 20 15:31:00 GMT 2003

Luciano wrote:
> So, sed 4.0.7 for Win32 has just seen the light of day, with a few
> bug fixes. Cygwin currently uses 4.0.5. Can I just drop in the new
> Win32 version in my /bin directory, or do I have to wait for an ad
> hoc Cygwin port? Apparently, these programs we use are linked to
> Cygwin1.dll somehow...
>
> Countless thanks,

Which programs use cygwin1.dll?  The Win32 sed 4.0.7 or all the
tools provided by the Cygwin distribution?

I wouldn't recommend replacing your Cygwin version of sed with
some generic Win32 version.  Keep'em separate because they're
not the same beast (unless the Win32 verison is linked to
cygwin1.dll too)