proftpd (and vsftpd too)

Jason Tishler jason@tishler.net
Tue Apr 22 16:03:00 GMT 2003

Corinna,

On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 02:12:32PM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 07:51:56AM -0400, Jason Tishler wrote:
> > However, I really recommend my vsftpd patch instead.  The port is
> > complete except for the binary/text mode part.  Do you want this
> > patch instead?
>
> Jason, I hoped you would become maintainer for a vsftpd port as part
> of the Cygwin distro at one point.  What's up?

You know -- the standard excuse -- lack of time.  Sigh...

As I alluded to above, the port is complete except for the standard
binary/text issues.  Specifically, I know of the following problems:

    1. vsftpd.conf must be in binary mode on a binary mount
    2. file transfers from/to text mounts can cause "corruption"
    3. ASCII transfer mode does not seem to work properly

However, we have been using vsftpd (with everything binary) in a
production environment without any problems for months now.

I started to track down the above, but tabled them due to the lack of
progress (and motivation).

I'm willing to contribute vsftpd with the above caveats and the
intention to solve the binary/text issues as time permits.  Is this
acceptable?

Jason