Licensing fee for Cygwin 1.3.X

Andrew DeFaria ADeFaria@Salira.com
Tue Apr 22 20:38:00 GMT 2003

Robert Hua wrote:

> I am using my own custom DOS batch scripts to facilitate the launching
> of a commercial application. Some enhancements that I want to make in
> these scripts require more complex text
> manipulation than DOS can provide, but they are simple to do in a Unix
> shell (bash).
>
> Could the Unix text commands (e.g. grep, more, tail, etc) in Cygwin
> 1.3.x be used without incurring additional licensing fees? If a
> licensing fee is required under version 1.3.x, is it also required in
> a "pre-commercial" release of Cygwin (e.g. B19, B20.1)?

You'd be surprised by what you can do in the Windows shell nowadays. I
know I was though I still prefer the Unix environment. I suggest you
give thought to perhaps just using cmd and avoiding all the licensing
issues. See
news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.win2000.cmdprompt.admin for
experts.