CVS head bash problem

Igor Pechtchanski pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Thu Apr 24 01:15:00 GMT 2003

On Wed, 23 Apr 2003, Rolf Campbell wrote:

> [snip]
> I was able to reproduce one of the problems in gdb.  This happens when I
> paste a *large* (> 44k) amount of text into an RXVT window.  I pasted
> 4900 lines of text into rxvt, all of them "cat hhhh".  Seems to only
> happen sporatically.  I tried it with cygwin1-20030421.dll.bz2, and I
> was able to cause the problem there too...
> [snip]

Rolf,

This is a known problem -- both rxvt and xterm will hang (crash?) if a
large text buffer is pasted in.  IIRC, the maximum paste size was around
64k, but there may be some character translation going on, so the
effective paste size may be smaller.

There used to be a patch for this, but I think it's way out of date at
this point.  The author of the patch (Steve Osbourn, who, incidentally,
is also the rxvt maintainer) has started to provide the functionality
incrementally in small patches, but, AFAIK, this process was never
completed.

For now, the rule of thumb is: don't paste more than 64k into rxvt or
xterm (the console bash *can* handle large pastes, but has other
problems, e.g., pasted international characters get lost).
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty.
  -- Leto II