proftpd running on cygwin

Jason Tishler jason@tishler.net
Thu Apr 24 15:21:00 GMT 2003

TJ,

On Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 07:39:13PM -0700, TJ Saunders wrote:
> jason>The patch is in the following post:
> jason>
> jason>    http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-04/msg01918.html
> jason>
> jason>Please test it and then try to get it accepted into proftp CVS.

I guess my posts to <proftp-devel@proftpd.org> weren't rejected after
all... :,)

> Attached is your patch, updated for current CVS.  The patch is pretty
> much the same, with one minor addition (checking of uid 0 for
> RootLogin).  If this patch works for you, just let me know and I'll
> commit to CVS.

I checked out the latest proftpd CVS, applied your updated patch, built,
and tested proftpd.  The following are my observations:

1. proftpd functions properly when running under the LocalSystem user and
Administrators group

2. proftpd does not function properly running under a less privileged
user such as nobody by setting "User nobody" in proftpd.conf.  The
following error is displayed when a user attempts to log in:

          5 [win] conn 756 Winmain: Cannot create window
    c:\home\jt\src\proftp\proftpd.exe: *** WFSO failed, Win32 error 6

Unless someone is willing to debug and fix the above problem (if
possible), then my suggestion is to just document that Cygwin proftpd
must run under the LocalSystem user and Administrators group.

3. proftpd displays the following non-fatal error messages when a user
logs in:

    TISHLERJASON - error setting write fd IP_TOS: Invalid argument
    TISHLERJASON - error setting read fd IP_TOS: Invalid argument
    TISHLERJASON - error setting write fd TCP_NOPUSH: Protocol not available
    TISHLERJASON - error setting read fd TCP_NOPUSH: Protocol not available

4. proftpd complains about a world writable directory even in no daemon
mode:

    TISHLERJASON (127.0.0.1[127.0.0.1]) - error: /var/log is a world writeable directory

Note that Cygwin typically runs Unix daemons under a NT service wrapper
called cygrunsrv which exploits options such as "--nodaemon" and handles
logging.

Clearly, only 1 and 2 above are related to this patch, but I wanted to
log the other issues so that hopefully they can be addressed too.

Please commit your patch.

Thanks,
Jason