rollback procedure, was: what determines cygwin path?

Qwer Zxcv partner4progress@yahoo.com
Sat Apr 26 00:29:00 GMT 2003

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> "man mount"

Doesn't help much when yr cygwin's down, but, find another box and DOH!
I forgot the mount table was in the REGISTRY ! So I fix that, and now
my old cygwin is working again :-)

Despite the apparent deprecation of this line of inquiry, I'd still
like to document rollback for those who are inclined to "install
defensively." Does the following rollback procedure sound more-or-less
correct/complete? (Note that it assumes that one's new cygwin is not
working.)

0 Change windows path to point (only) to the old version. Cygwin
  references should precede windows references.

1 Use 'regedit' to ensure that entries in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2

  notably

/usr/bin
/usr/lib
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts

  point (only) to the old version.

2 Find or recreate a shortcut to one's old bash-running batchfile.

3 Run bash, check for weirdness.

4 'cygcheck -svr', check for weirdness.