Unable to run executables on other PCs

Michael Purves mpurves@yukoncollege.yk.ca
Sat Apr 26 01:50:00 GMT 2003

    I have downloaded the cygwin programs, and compiled several of my
own
programs using gcc. The programs work with no problem on my PC when I
use
the cygwin window. Using a Command Prompt window, the programs work
nearly perfectly. The one call in the programs that will not work is
something like:

    (void) system("cat file");

    Other than re-writing the program, is there something I can do to
mak this
work?

    I copied my executables and the cygwin dll's to another Windows PC.
This
second PC does not have cygwin installed. When I run my programs, I get
the
following error message:

'cygwin': unknown terminal type.

    Is it possible to run my executables on PCs without installing
cygwin on them?
If so, what do I need to do? I tried putting the /etc/termcap from
cygwin PC into
my DOS path; I set a HOME environment variable and put termcap in
$HOME\etc; I made a directory d:\cygwin\etc and put termcap there, too.
All to no
avail.

Michael Purves
Yukon College