cat stories

Igor Pechtchanski pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Sat Apr 26 14:06:00 GMT 2003

On Fri, 25 Apr 2003, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 25, 2003 at 08:50:23PM -0500, Matthew Smith wrote:
> >Right. How gnarly are the cygwin patches for the current sh-utils and
> >file-utils? If they're nothing major, I'll step up to bat for maintaining
> >coreutils.
>
> I made an attempt to get "cp foo /bin" working "correctly" so that foo.exe
> would be copied if there was no existing foo but I never got it quite right.
> I don't think my changes should be reincorporated although it would be nice
> to get this working.
>
> sh-utils should be patched so that test.exe uses the cygwin version of
> access() rather than the sh-utils version.
>
> Other than that, I think it should be standard.
> cgf

Chris,

Regarding the .exe appending issue, do you think it would make sense to
add a "stat_pure()" function to Cygwin (as suggested in
<http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-04/msg02180.html>)?
That would make easier implementing things like:

   struct stat buf;
   char name[8]="foo";
   if (stat_pure(name, &buf)) {
     strcat(name,".exe");
     if (errno == ENOENT && !stat_pure(name, &buf)) {
     }
   }

which would be useful for both cp and, say, unzip...
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty.
  -- Leto II