ls: /: No such file or directory What can I do?

Igor Pechtchanski pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Sun Apr 27 19:23:00 GMT 2003

On Sun, 27 Apr 2003, Elfyn McBratney wrote:

> > Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> this

> set

> > > Alain,
> > >
> > > Checking the mount settings in the registry is non-portable, the mounts
> > > will not be stored there forever.  Please use "cygcheck -svr" to get
> > > system configuration.  Attaching the output to your message, as per
> > > <http://cygwin.com/problems.html>, might also be a good idea.
> > >
> > > Aside from that, looks like you're missing the "/" mount (the output of
> > > "cygcheck -svr" will confirm or deny my guess).  Did you change users?
> > > Did you upgrade any Cygwin packages recently?
> > > Igor
>
> Alain,
>
> If you run the following from Cygwin shell (or cmd.exe/command.com as long
> as D:\Cygwin is in your PATH):
>
> $ mount -f -s -b "D:/Cygwin/bin" "/usr/bin"
> $ mount -f -s -b "D:/Cygwin/lib" "/usr/lib"
> $ mount -f -s -b "D:/Cygwin" "/"
>
> and if you have XFree86* installed you might want to run this, too:
>
> $ mount -f -s -b "D:/Cygwin/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts"
> "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts"
>
> And you should be alright... :-)
>
> Elfyn

Ahem, make that "E:/Cygwin/bin", "E:/Cygwin/lib", and "E:/Cygwin"...

Alain, your problem is that the mount source should be a Win32 path, not a
POSIX path, so the /cygdrive/e/cygwin was confusing the mount mechanism
(it was looking for \cygdrive\e\cygwin on the current drive, and of course
didn't find it).  "man mount" for more details.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty.
  -- Leto II