Un- Resolution: Re: Can't access windows shares when logged into Win2K via cygwin sshd

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Tue Apr 29 19:16:00 GMT 2003

on Mon, Apr 21, 2003 at 11:48:23PM +0100, Karsten M. Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
> on Mon, Apr 21, 2003 at 08:08:13PM +0100, Karsten M. Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com) wrote:

> > I am connection from a GNU/Linux system to a Win2K box via SSH.  The
> > Win2K system is running Cygwin and the Cygwin sshd daemon.  I've
> > followed Mike Erdeley's recommendations in setting up SSH, including
> > renaming my standard 2K userid to something more unixlike.
> >
> > On the 2K box, from within legacy MS Windows, I can access shares.  I've
> > "mapped" several of these via symlinks as /net/<host>/<share>/.  Cygwin
> > under windows can access these shares.
> >
> > Cygwin via remote ssh cannot access these shares.  Cygwin via *local*
> > ssh (ssh localhost; ls /net/<host>/<share> *does* work.

> In an offlist response, I was asked whether or not I was not using
> password authentication.  Indeed I wasn't, relying instead on RSAKEY
> with ssh-agent for passwordless connections.  This is apparently a known
> bug with Cygwin's SSH:  you can access the remote host but not shares
> connected to it.  Falling back on password auth avoids this issue,
> though it reduces the convenience factor.

And all of a sudden it's stopped working again.

I'm back to square one:  ssh session using *password* authentication to
Cygwin's sshd on Win2K Pro *no longer has access* to MS Windows shares.
The 'NET' command doesn't work.

Accessing the  Win2K box dierctly *does* work -- I can access shares
from the bash prompt.  I believe there've been a few recent MS service
packs, has the Vole "fixed" something?

Given my current SOP, an exported terminal from the Win2K system would
be sufficient (experimentation ensues...).  Hmm...this wasn't working
previously, but is now.  I've run an ssh with X11 forwarding *from*
GNU/Linux *to* Cygwin ssh / Win2K, then gone to the Win2K desktop (VNC
;-), set DISPLAY appropriately, and launched rxvt back at the Linux box.
Joy!

Peace.

   The Consumer Broadband and Digital Television Promotion Act:
     Feinstein's answer to Enron envy.
       http://www.politechbot.com/docs/cbdtpa/hollings.s2048.032102.html