WinNT/Cygwin.dll 1.3.2x-1 problem

Arthur I Schwarz Arthur_I_Schwarz@raytheon.com
Wed Apr 30 06:05:00 GMT 2003

I'm not sure that I'm a good enough observer to have captured my problems
but let me tell you what I have. There are five issues: OS: WinNT

1.. We work in a networked environment with a 'floating' profile. The
network stored profile is downloaded to any computer we are logged onto.
Occassionally things go awry and the profile is not downloaded but a local
profile is installed. When the local profile is deleted, the networked
profile can again be downloaded. This happened and I had to create a new
'floating' profile. I have lost 'root' and the startup scripts do not
execute in etc/ or in home/. Any way to fix this?

2.. In the same environment as above we run IBM (formerly Rational) Clear
Case, roughly a CVT lookalike. It has been observed that when I execute
Cygwin (Bash shell) on one of the Clear Case drives that at logoff there
are some active Cygwin processes which never go away. When the process
table gets full (for Clear Case I think), access to Clear Case becomes
restricted for everyone. The workaround is to 'shutdown and restart'. This
is only an issue in this environment. In networked environments with Clear
Case installed this does not seem to be a problem. Are there any other
solutions?

3.. In the same environment, "alias dir='ls -Al'" will occassionally stop?
It seems to go into an infinite loop when it (sometimes) sees a directory
entry. It just stops outputting directory information and the Bash shell
prompt is never returned. But 'ls -Aln' works fine. This issue is not seen
on networked computers without a 'floating profile' nor on any
non-networked computers.

4.. In the same environment some UID's and GID's have a value of '65535'
which is output as '?????' using 'ls -Al'. I've tried unsuccessfully to
modify etc/passwd and etc/group to recognize these values. Any suggestions?

5.. In all environments I am unable to download my distribution to a CD-ROM
and then use the CD to update existing Cygwin environments. Not all of the
computers that I use are internet capable and the ability to update from a
CD-ROM is necessary. This issue started with Cygwin.dll 1.3.21-1 which was
distributed towards the end of March and has continued with the current
version (1.3.22-1). thanks art