Question regarding problem during uninstall using setup.exe

Alan Miles miles0201@cox.net
Fri Aug 1 00:21:00 GMT 2003

All,

I tried to send this message to cygwin-apps@cygwin.com, since as I
understand from the web-site setup.exe issues go there, but my message got
bounced. Hence I am sending it here.

Keep up the excellent work on cygwin. Can't wait for 1.5.* to come out.

Using the latest setup and installation of cygwin I have a problem when I
use setup.exe to un-install cygwin, so I can get a ** completely ** fresh
install.
I periodically like to uninstall cygwin and re-install to remove any cruft
etc. Also this helps with maintenance of my computer, as I can always
re-install later. That way I don't have to use so many backup CD's.

To get around my ** own ** customizations, I have built my own install
packages that integrate into the setup.exe. To do this integration, I use
the "generic" build script template, setup.hints + upset to construct my
setup.ini. This works great. However, when I de-install setup.exe seems to
remove several directories that are ** NOT ** in the cygwin directory
structure but are elsewhere, and I mount them under cygwin.

Output of my mount:

H:\CygnusSolutions-Cygwin Files\CygwinMachine_Package_Dirs\build on
/CygwinMachine_Package_Files/Build type system (binmode)
H:\CygnusSolutions-Cygwin Files\CygwinMachine_Package_Dirs\dest on
/CygwinMachine_Package_Files/Release type system (binmode)
H:\CygnusSolutions-Cygwin Files\CygwinMachine_Package_Dirs\src on
/CygwinMachine_Package_Files/src type system (binmode)
C:\Documents and Settings\Alan Miles on /mnt/User type user (binmode)
H:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\lib\X11\fonts on /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts type system
(binmode)
H:\cygwin\bin on /usr/bin type system (binmode)
H:\cygwin\lib on /usr/lib type system (binmode)
H:\cygwin on / type system (binmode)
c: on /mnt/Drives/c type system (binmode,noumount)
d: on /mnt/Drives/d type system (binmode,noumount)
e: on /mnt/Drives/e type system (binmode,noumount)
h: on /mnt/Drives/h type system (binmode,noumount)
i: on /mnt/Drives/i type system (binmode,noumount)
j: on /mnt/Drives/j type system (binmode,noumount)
k: on /mnt/Drives/k type system (binmode,noumount)
l: on /mnt/Drives/l type system (binmode,noumount)

Setup.exe seems to remove

H:\CygnusSolutions-Cygwin Files\CygwinMachine_Package_Dirs\build and
H:\CygnusSolutions-Cygwin Files\CygwinMachine_Package_Dirs\dest

(which I use but were empty at the time). Interestingly, it does ** NOT **
remove

H:\CygnusSolutions-Cygwin Files\CygwinMachine_Package_Dirs\src which is NOT
empty.

Subsequent re-installation causes problems with the mount command, until I
unmount, manually re-create these directories, and remount.

For example, a fragment of info from my setup.log.full file (related to the
installation):

rmdir H:\cygwin/usr/doc/_CygwinMachine_Base-1.0/Setup-Help
rmdir
H:\cygwin/usr/doc/_CygwinMachine_Base-1.0/PackageBuilder/infra/bin/cygwin/Cy
gwin/Setup/CVS
rmdir
H:\cygwin/usr/doc/_CygwinMachine_Base-1.0/PackageBuilder/infra/bin/cygwin/Cy
gwin/Setup
rmdir
H:\cygwin/usr/doc/_CygwinMachine_Base-1.0/PackageBuilder/infra/bin/cygwin/Cy
gwin/CVS
rmdir
H:\cygwin/usr/doc/_CygwinMachine_Base-1.0/PackageBuilder/infra/bin/cygwin/Cy
gwin
rmdir
H:\cygwin/usr/doc/_CygwinMachine_Base-1.0/PackageBuilder/infra/bin/cygwin/CV
rmdir
H:\cygwin/usr/doc/_CygwinMachine_Base-1.0/PackageBuilder/infra/bin/cygwin
rmdir H:\cygwin/usr/doc/_CygwinMachine_Base-1.0/PackageBuilder/infra/bin/CVS
rmdir H:\cygwin/usr/doc/_CygwinMachine_Base-1.0/PackageBuilder/infra/bin
rmdir H:\cygwin/usr/doc/_CygwinMachine_Base-1.0/PackageBuilder/infra/CVS
rmdir H:\cygwin/usr/doc/_CygwinMachine_Base-1.0/PackageBuilder/infra
rmdir H:\cygwin/usr/doc/_CygwinMachine_Base-1.0/PackageBuilder
rmdir H:\cygwin/usr/doc/_CygwinMachine_Base-1.0/CygwinMachine-Help
rmdir H:\cygwin/usr/doc/_CygwinMachine_Base-1.0/Auxillary_Scripts
rmdir H:\cygwin/usr/doc/_CygwinMachine_Base-1.0
rmdir H:\cygwin/mnt/User
rmdir H:\cygwin/mnt/Drives/Z
rmdir H:\cygwin/mnt/Drives/Y
rmdir H:\cygwin/mnt/Drives/X
rmdir H:\cygwin/mnt/Drives/W
rmdir H:\cygwin/mnt/Drives/V
rmdir H:\cygwin/mnt/Drives/U
rmdir H:\cygwin/mnt/Drives/T
rmdir H:\cygwin/mnt/Drives/S
rmdir H:\cygwin/mnt/Drives/R
rmdir H:\cygwin/mnt/Drives/Q
rmdir H:\cygwin/mnt/Drives/P
rmdir H:\cygwin/mnt/Drives/O
rmdir H:\cygwin/mnt/Drives/N
rmdir H:\cygwin/mnt/Drives/M
rmdir H:\cygwin/mnt/Drives/L
rmdir H:\cygwin/mnt/Drives/K
rmdir H:\cygwin/mnt/Drives/J
rmdir H:\cygwin/mnt/Drives/I
rmdir H:\cygwin/mnt/Drives/H
rmdir H:\cygwin/mnt/Drives/G
rmdir H:\cygwin/mnt/Drives/F
rmdir H:\cygwin/mnt/Drives/E
rmdir H:\cygwin/mnt/Drives/D
rmdir H:\cygwin/mnt/Drives/C
rmdir H:\cygwin/mnt/Drives/B
rmdir H:\cygwin/mnt/Drives/A
rmdir H:\cygwin/mnt/Drives
rmdir H:\cygwin/etc/skel/.ncftp
rmdir H:\cygwin/etc/CygwinMachines.Diffs
rmdir H:\CygnusSolutions-Cygwin Files\CygwinMachine_Package_Dirs\dest
rmdir H:\CygnusSolutions-Cygwin Files\CygwinMachine_Package_Dirs\build
2003/07/31 11:24:35 Uninstalling _CygwinMachine_Custom_Utilities
unlink H:\cygwin/bin//FieldCounter.exe
unlink H:\cygwin/bin//FieldCounter_Pipe.exe
unlink H:\cygwin/bin//FileDump.exe
unlink H:\cygwin/bin//GenerateRange.exe
unlink H:\cygwin/bin//Linegen.exe
unlink H:\cygwin/bin//LineNChopper.exe
unlink H:\cygwin/bin//Padder.exe

where Padder.exe, Linegen.exe are programs that I created for my use under
cygwin, based on versions that I built for my Linux installation.

I don't believe it should be doing the

rmdir H:\CygnusSolutions-Cygwin Files\CygwinMachine_Package_Dirs\dest
rmdir H:\CygnusSolutions-Cygwin Files\CygwinMachine_Package_Dirs\build

commands, and I am not sure if this is a setup.exe issue, hence the reason I
am sending this to this mailing list.

I can see the removal of the H:\cygwin directories, but not any external
directories that I just mount to.

cygcheck -s output attached.
Alan Miles
ICQ#: 171006836