Administrator lacking super-user privileges on cygwin installation

Myk Melez myk@aol.net
Fri Aug 1 19:34:00 GMT 2003

Larry Hall wrote:

> 1. SYSTEM is the account that sshd runs as, not administrator.

Hmm, perhaps it's just a coincidence then that Administrator permissions
correspond with sshd permissions.

> 2. Only the owner of the private key files in .ssh should have
> permissions
>    to access these files.  Public key files should be readable by anyone.
>    You'll want to check the permissions on these files relative to the
>    above.

We got things working by opening up public access to
/home/some-user/.ssh/authorized_keys, and perhaps that's sufficient,
although I'm still concerned about the difference in behavior across my
two installations.  I have limited experience with cygwin (or Windows in
general), but on Linux in my experience sshd turns up its nose at
non-private .ssh directories, or else I would have tried that sooner.

$CYGWIN is set to "binmode ntsec tty", so that shouldn't be the problem.

> 3. Generally, you should read <http://cygwin.com/problems.html>.

I've been through the FAQ and User's Guide but couldn't find an answer
to my question.  Perhaps I should read both straight through for a more
rounded understanding of what's going on; I was just hoping someone had
experienced this before and knew the magic incantation to correct it. :-)

-myk