vim speed issue

David Selby cygwin@pusspaws.net
Sat Aug 2 18:26:00 GMT 2003

Larry Hall wrote:

> David Selby wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> OK newbe cygwin user here, have read manual + faq ... so not just
>> lept in with a question !
>>
>> I have a 700MHz PIII 256MB, I have installed cygwin on 98SE.
>> When running it can seem a little slow, ie "man man" takes 2-3
>> seconds, vim screen ripples as I scroll up.
>>
>> In the FAQ it states that upgrades can have speed problems, This is a
>> new install.
>>
>> Is it a case of cygwin is just another process as far as 98SE is
>> concerned & so only gets a slice of CPU time ? In which case AOK, no
>> probs I can live with it. Or is there something I need to tweak ?
>

> Yes, cygwin proggies are just other processes, just like Windows
> proggies. Don't know why knowing that would make you feel better
> about the perceived performance problem. But there you are. :-)
>
> I'd suggest reviewing the text at <http://cygwin.com/problems.html>.
>
> Win 9x/Me console output is slow and inefficient, though I think what
> you describe is extreme (don't know for sure since I don't use 9x/Me).
> It may be a configuration issue. One way to narrow things down would be
> to try rxvt instead of the console Window. Many on Win9x/Me use this to
> avoid the console shortcomings. Some use it on NT/W2K/XP too. ;-) See:
>
> Is there a better alternative to the standard console window?
> <http://cygwin.com/faq/faq_toc.html#TOC66>

Many thanks for getting back to me. I was unsure if it was a config
problem just for me or a general thing. My guess is it cant realy be
that slow, how would it run X ? (If this is a dumb statement bourne of
ignorance of cygwin, forgive me!)

Anyhow I will try your suggestion and try rxvt,
Thanks once again
Dave