Administrator lacking super-user privileges on cygwin installation

Igor Pechtchanski pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Tue Aug 5 12:10:00 GMT 2003

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003, Ville Herva wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 10:03:18PM -0400, you [Larry Hall] wrote:
> > >
> > >I tried adding '-d' to the sshd parameters, but that doesn't help (gives
> > >the
> > >same error 255) - it seems to die earlier than that.
> > >

> > What does /var/log/sshd.log say?
>
> It remains empty, on both servers.
>
> Based on time stamp, it appears to last touched when I ran sshd from command
> line. As said, now the sshd is running as a service on an user account. With
> SYSTEM account, service still fails to start with error code 255. I believe
> sshd fails to _execute_ for some curious reason (so it doesn't get to open
> the log), but why?

IIRC, the default installation of sshd as service used the event log for
all output, rather than /var/log/sshd.log (though I'm not too sure on this
one)...  However, error code 255 means that the executable could not be
executed.  Check the permissions on sshd ("ls -l /usr/sbin/sshd") and the
mounts ("/", at least, should be a system mount).
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu