What is the minimum needed to run gtar?

Jon LaBadie jcyg@jgcomp.com
Wed Aug 6 17:48:00 GMT 2003

On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 01:27:11PM -0400, Larry Hall wrote:
> Oh, OK.  I didn't know that this was a restatement of that problem
> (<http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-07/msg00932.html>).  Did you try
> running tar on the affected systems with strace?  Perhaps a comparison
> of the output from a machine where it's failing and the same from one
> that doesn't would provide some insight.
>

> Biederman, Steve wrote:
>
> >For a good, concise example and test case, go back to the problem I posted
> >on 7/16, titled "tar 1.13.25 runs forever and produces nothing on this
> >test case".
> >
> >That behavior is seen on a bare Windows machine with no Cygwin installed
> >but for tar 1.13.25 and cygwin1.dll.
> >
> >When I installed a Cygwin build environment in order to debug the problem,
> >the problem disappeared.  But its easily reproduced on a bare Windows
> >machine.
> >

> >Biederman, Steve wrote:
> >

> >>I want to allow the users I support to be able to run Cygwin tar on their
> >>Windows machines.
> >>These machines have not had any Cygwin installed; they're just bare
> >>Windows machines.
> >>
> >>I provided them tar.exe and cygwin1.dll and assumed that with these, they
> >>could run
> >>Cygwin tar sucessfully.  It appears that that isn't the case: machines
> >>without Cygwin installed see different behavior than machines which have
> >>it installed.  (Running tar
> >>on machines without Cygwin installed creates incorrect tar archives.)
> >>
> >>What is the minimum I need to provide to a non-Cygwin Windows machine to
> >>get
> >>Cygwin tar to run reliably?

This may not be apropos today ...

Several years ago I was trying something similar, get a minimum,
standalone amanda distribution.  The distributed gtar was not yet
1.13.25 so I compiled my own.  It needed another cygwin provided
dll besides cygwin1.dll.  Sorry I don't recall which one, nor do
I know if that requirement still exists.

jl
--
Jon H. LaBadie                  jcyg@jgcomp.com
 JG Computing