Managed mode problem

Igor Pechtchanski pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Tue Aug 12 15:11:00 GMT 2003

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003, Ronald Landheer-Cieslak wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I was trying to build nn under Cygwin, and found it contains a file called
> aux.sh, a file called aux.c and a file called aux.h; none of which Windows
> would like, of course.
>
> Having Cygwin 1.5.2 installed, I thought I'd try out that spiffy new managed
> mode, as running `tar xzvf nn-6.6.5.tar.Z' failed miserably (hung until I
> killed Bash, tar and gz) so I put my tarball in /foo, which is mounted in
> managed mode (see cygcheck.out for details on my system).
>
> That didn't change the behaviour of tar/gzip much, though, as the process
> still seems to hang while untarring the tarball on the managed mount.
>
> Below are the cygcheck output, the tarball itself and the last stackdump from
> gzip. If you need anything else, I'll be happy to provide.
>
> HTH
> rlc

Ronald,

You might want to run this under strace and search the output for "aux"...
See if that provides any clues.  Another thing to try is to create a STC
by "touch"ing a file called "aux.c" in a managed directory, then taring it
into, say, test.tar, and then trying to untar it.  My guess is that
compression has nothing to do with this problem, so you can try creating
an uncompressed tar first.  If you can reproduce the problem on this
smaller tar archive, an strace (bzipped) should be of a manageable size to
post, and would likely be helpful (to CGF if noone else) in finding the
problem.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/