cron and network drives

Andrew DeFaria ADeFaria@Salira.com
Fri Aug 15 21:56:00 GMT 2003

I have a situation here. Now I know that cron can have problems with
network drives. As I understand it cron runs as SYSTEM and switches
users to the user whose crontab is being "run". As such it's a
passwordless "login" and I am told that with passwordless logins Windows
security restricts access to things like network mapped drives.

This can be shown by the following cronjob:

00 12 * * * net use > /tmp/netuse

Which results in:

New connections will be remembered.

Status       Local     Remote                    Network
             M:        \\view                    ClearCase Dynamic Views
Unavailable  T:        \\sons-cc\Tools           Microsoft Windows Network
The command completed successfully.

Note the Unavailable for the T drive. This was produced on a system with
Cygwin 1.3.22 installed, cron 3.0.1-10.

However, and this is the part that gets me, on another system running
Cygwin 1.3.20, cron 3.0.1-7 the same cronjob produces:

New connections will be remembered.

Status       Local     Remote                    Network
             M:        \\view                    ClearCase Dynamic Views
OK           T:        \\sons-clearcase\Tools    Microsoft Windows Network
The command completed successfully.

Note the OK for the T drive. I need to have access to the T drive. Why
can I access it through cron on one system and not the other?