cron and network drives

Larry Hall cygwin-lh@cygwin.com
Mon Aug 18 20:18:00 GMT 2003

Elfyn McBratney wrote:
> Andrew DeFaria <ADeFaria@Salira.com> wrote:
>
>>Andrew DeFaria wrote:

>>>Only one user is in use on both machines. In fact I accessed both
>>>machines using remote desktop logged in as that user. The crontab is
>>>that same user, etc.

>>>Could you please describe exactly what is a "public" share, what is
>>>not a public share (I assume that would be a private share) and how
>>>does one tell the difference? Also, assuming that in the case that
>>>works it works because it's a public share and in the case that
>>>doesn't work it fails because it's a private share then how do I go
>>>about changing the private share to a public share?
>>
>>I really wish that somebody would address this issue once and for all. I
>>often here such things as a "public mount" but to date nobody has
>>ventured a guess as to what a "public mount" would be and how it would
>>differ from a "non public mount". I think I have a situation here that
>>clearly shows that something is odd whereas on one machine a mounted
>>drive is available via cron and on another machine it is not. Both
>>machines are setup nearly identically with the same user (in the same
>>domain though geographically separated by thousands of miles). The only
>>difference I see is that the versions of Cygwin and cron are different.
>

> I think Larry is actually speaking shares here, not mounts.

Quite right.  I don't know where Andrew got "public mount".  The text
he quoted from my response to his original inquiry uses "public share",
not "public mount".

A "public share" is a 'Windows thing'.  It isn't a 'Cygwin thing'.  It's a
share that allows unprivileged/unauthenticated users access.  Setting it up
simply means adding users of this type (i.e. 'Guest') to the share's
permission list.  I don't know if this explains Andrew's situation or not.
I'm still a bit mystified though why he's so hung up on this "public
share" issue.  I thought it was put to bed the last time he asked in
this thread:

<http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2002-01/msg00659.html>

If none of this resolves the issue though, Elfyn's suggestion of comparing
the output of cygcheck for the two machines is a good one.  Or his general
thoughts on debugging of cron is also worthwhile.  Otherwise, I guess the
only other option is to fire up the debugger and see what's going on.

Holliston, MA 01746