du.exe v3.5/4.1 or v3.16/4.0: where is the bug?

Gerrit P. Haase gp@familiehaase.de
Mon Aug 18 21:25:00 GMT 2003

Hallo Elisabetta,

Am Montag, 18. August 2003 um 17:16 schriebst du:

> Hello.
> My problem is about different versions of du.exe that work in a different
> way.

> Details:
> the argument is executing du against a file owned by a different user than
> the one running du.

> first case:
> du <file>
> <disk usage>       <file>

> du --version
> GNU fileutils 3.5
> GNU fileutils 4.1

> second case:
> du <file>
> <file>: Permission denied

> du --version
> GNU fileutils 3.16
> GNU fileutils 4.0

> In other words, using version 3.16 or 4.0 du fails to execute due to
> restricted permissions on the file.

What kind of permission makes the 3.16/4.0 versions fail?

> What I wonder is why the behaviour changed through all those du.exe
> versions and finally what should be the right way of working.

Maybe an old 3.16 bug was 'reintroduced by accident' with 4.0?

Gerrit
--
=^..^=