Map Backspace to ASCII DEL?

Ian Brandt ian@ianbrandt.com
Thu Aug 21 20:42:00 GMT 2003

Dr.D.J.Picton wrote:
> Actually, rxvt has a native Windows mode (which will run if DISPLAY is unset),
> although it probably requires some of the X11R6 .dll files to run.  So you
> could try using rxvt in place of a standard console by changing cygwin.bat
> to do:
>
> rxvt -backspacekey ^? -deletekey ^h -e bash --login &

Wow, go figure, it does run in a native window.  That is pretty darn
cool.  Well, so far so good.  I've got the keys mapped the way I want
them.  I like the way Cut/Copy/Paste works.  I like that selections are
line by line, as opposed to rectangular.  Scroll wheel works.  So far no
problem with full screen apps such as emacs and less.

> The only problem I noticed was the small font (which you can change by pressing
> the '+' key on the keypad in conjunction with the shift key) and the
> fact that the DISPLAY variable is set (which could be fixed with an /etc/profile
> hack.)

Good tips.  I used to use xterm so rxvt seems pretty straight forward.
I just had no idea it would run native like that.

Many Thanks!

Ian