[ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: keychain-2.0.3-1

Karl M karlm30@hotmail.com
Mon Dec 1 02:43:00 GMT 2003

Hi All...

I agree with sending multiple patch files in general. I didn't send one for
the -e option because it
was such a trivial patch.

I only used .cmd because for totally irrational reasons, I hate the .bat
extension. .bat should work as
well for the file. But...I don't know if things would work on win98
anyway...This is only usefull when
you run ssh from a windows command shell, or from a program run from a
windows command shell
. In my case, the program is Unison. I run it from a windows command shell
because ssh fails when I
launch it from a bash shell. I have not checked into how well ssh runs on
win98 the last 2 or 3
years...it used to hang on exiting and the window would not close.

So in short, if there are other applications for this, batpidf and
hostname.bat should work fine as far
as keychain is concerned. Unless we hear other interest, I'm not shure it is
worth being different
from the upstream source. So I would probably just do the -e patch for the
Cygwin ps options.

Launching keychain from a service, I think, is much more generally usefull.
This allows the ssh-agent
process to stay alive after the user loggs off. This might be worth
including in the Cygwin release, if
nothing else, it shows how easy it is to do. One should always think about
the security implications of
any of this stuff (keychain, ssh-agent, running it as a service) in one's
own context, but I love it.

Thanks for supporting keychain in the cygwin environment.

...Karl