scripting sftp in a bash script

David Strozzi dstrozzi@MIT.EDU
Tue Dec 2 04:26:00 GMT 2003

Hi,

(I have a feeling this has been asked before, but I can't find it.)

I'm trying to use sftp within a bash script on cygwin (version 1.5.5 on
winXP pro).  Ideally I'd like to use a 'here document' rather than using
an external batchfile, that is,

sftp /dev/stdin <<EOF
<ftp commands>
EOF

The problem is the /dev/stdin.  This normally isn't necessary for 'here
documents,' and isn't with ftp.  However, with sftp, for reasons I don't
understand, you need to add the /dev/stdin to use here documents.  This
doesn't seem to work under cygwin.

Does anyone know how to produce this behavior?

Or, are there other ways to script/call sftp (or a _secure_ equivalent)?

I'm not subscribed to this list, so please cc my email address in your
reply.

Thanks very much.