How to execute bash file under /usr/bin despite setting PATH="/us r/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:$PATH"
Jörg Schaible
Joerg.Schaible@Elsag-Solutions.com
Fri Dec 5 09:52:00 GMT 2003
Jon A. Lambert wrote on Thursday, December 04, 2003 7:03 PM:
> "Nguyen, Huu-Dung" wrote:
>> Thank for the answers
>>
>> Can any gurus tell me what is the real use of /usr/bin as a mount
>> point and /usr/bin as a physically existing directory in the Cygwin
>> directory ? Sometime i am too much curious !?
>>
>> Nguyen
>
> I'm stumped as I can't think of any use.
> Why did you create the physical directory?
It is the way mount works (in any Unix)! You can force a mount without a mount point, but ls the parent directory and you see why. The only question you could arise for Cygwin here is why they use a mount at all for /usr/bin, but that's in the FAQ although I suppose it is more for historical reasons and the (unnecessary) hassle that would arise separating these directories now.
Regards,
Jörg
--
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation: http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ: http://cygwin.com/faq/
More information about the Cygwin
mailing list