Setup hangs in postinstall

Michael Robbert mrobbert@Mines.EDU
Tue Dec 9 19:59:00 GMT 2003

> I'm sorry, I don't have a copy of XP to try this with, but it would
> appear to be a bug in uname (since it gives no output from the commandline)
>
> Does it uname hang or just return empty?  Is there any error codes?  Try:
>
> /bin/uname -a ; echo $?
>
> Also, could you *attach* (uncompressed) the output of:
>
> /bin/cygcheck -svr > cygcheck.out
>
> Thanks,
>
> J.

John,
the uname command by itself does not hang or return empty, it is only in
the process of assigning the output of the command(any command) to a
variable that it hangs.
Here is the output of your example:

bash-2.05b$ /bin/uname -s; echo $?
CYGWIN_NT-5.1
0

I have attached the file cygcheck.out which contains the out from the
command "cygcheck -svr"

Antoine,
I don't think that your problem is exactly the same as mine either. You
problem, from what I gather in your post, only happens in a loop and
possibly on a dual CPU(SMP) machine. I am getting this on a single
command on a laptop(not SMP).

Everyone,
If anybody wants to point to bash as the problem, let me also point out
that I have been able to replicate the problem in zsh, csh, and sh.
--
Michael "Murph" Robbert
System Administrator for Math/CS