Setup hangs in postinstall

Michael Robbert mrobbert@Mines.EDU
Thu Dec 11 21:23:00 GMT 2003

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Dec 2003, Michael Robbert wrote:
>

>>[snip]
>>P.S. I probably shouldn't mention this, but I had the strangest thing
>>happen to me yesterday. One of the machines that was having this
>>problem, my laptop, stopped having it all of a sudden. This machine is
>>dual boot and when I booted to XP to get this trace I found that it
>>would no longer hang, even when running Antoine's loop. This trace is
>>from my client's machine which is still having the problem. I'm pretty
>>sure that I didn't do any kind of updates that would make this change
>>happen.
>

> <WAG>
> Cygwin setup will sometimes defer replacing in-use files until the next
> reboot.  If setup asked you to reboot after upgrading Cygwin last time,
> that means it had some files scheduled for replacement, while you were
> still running with the old versions of the DLLs.  Rebooting may fix the
> problem for your client machine as well.  The same, obviously, applies to
> Antoine.
> </WAG>
> 	Igor
Sorry, That's not it. Setup didn't ever ask me to reboot as far as I can
recall, but there had been other reboots between the install and other
failed tests. I did reboot the client's machine as well, a few times,
and the problem is still there.

--
Michael "Murph" Robbert
System Administrator for Math/CS