[META] Other mailing list ideas

Bobby McNulty Junior bmj2004@bellsouth.net
Tue Dec 16 04:34:00 GMT 2003


Sounds good to me, Chris.
I've been here since 1999.
Glad you did this.
Bobby

-----Original Message-----
From: cygwin-owner@cygwin.com [mailto:cygwin-owner@cygwin.com]On Behalf
Of Christopher Faylor
Sent: Monday, December 15, 2003 9:53 PM
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: [META] Other mailing list ideas


I'm toying with the idea of having the mailing list software munge
certain types of mailing list addresses in the body of a message
as it comes in, before it is archived or sent out.

The patterns I'd look for are something like:

  aaaspam@sourceware.org writes:
munged to
  aaaspam writes:

  <aaaspam@sourceware.org> writes:
munged to
   aaaspam writes:

  Albert A. Aspam <aaaspam@sourceware.org> writes:
munged to
  Albert A. Aspam writes:

  >.*aaaspam@sourceware.org
munged to
  >.*aaaspam


  From: Albert A. Spam <aaaspam@sourceware.org>
munged to
  From: Albert A. Spam

  From: <aaaspam@sourceware.org>
munged to
  From: aaaspam

etc.

Any objections to this?  This should leave email addresses in signatures
and in ChangeLogs alone while catching the majority of the abuses, I think.

We'd also talked a while ago about adding something like a --EOF-- flag
which could be put in a message to cause the mailing list software to
ignore everything after that point.  This would allow the opt-in removal
of those multi-line disclaimers that everyone loves.

cgf

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/




--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/



More information about the Cygwin mailing list