Fw: Problem configuring sshd as a service -expr error

Igor Pechtchanski pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Tue Dec 30 20:40:00 GMT 2003

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003, prgmmer wrote:

> I've been following and looking at a couple guides to setting up sshd on
> cygwin.
>
> So i've already download openssh and cygwin of course and cygwin runs fine.
>
> I create some environement variables and I add Path
>
> Then here's the problem. When I :
>
> ssh-host-config -y
>
> it gives me this output
> bash-2.05b$ ssh-host-config -y
> /usr/bin/ssh-host-config: line 113: [: -gt: unary operator expected
> /usr/bin/ssh-host-config: line 180: [: -gt: unary operator expected

These two lines mean that "expr" didn't work correctly.

> Generating /etc/ssh_config file
> c:\usr\local\wbin\cp.exe: /etc/defaults/etc/ssh_config: No such file or directory
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This means that you have another set of unix-like tools in your path
*before* the Cygwin ones.  I'd also assume you have "expr" there, which
would explain why it didn't work as expected.

> Overwrite existing /etc/sshd_config file? (yes/no) yes
> Can't overwrite. /etc/sshd_config is write protected.
> /usr/bin/ssh-host-config: line 253: [: -gt: unary operator expected
> /usr/bin/ssh-host-config: line 318: [: -gt: unary operator expected

Same "expr" problem.

> grep: /ssh-host-config.756/SERVICES: No such file or directory
> grep: /ssh-host-config.756/SERVICES: No such file or directory
> /usr/bin/ssh-host-config: line 358: /ssh-host-config.756/SERVICES: No such file or directory

Again, looks like the wrong "awk" is found.

> WARNING: Adding ssh to C:\WINDOWS\SERVICES failed!
> /usr/bin/ssh-host-config: line 415: [: -gt: unary operator expected

Same "expr" problem.

> Host configuration finished. Have fun!
> bash-2.05b$
>
> And windows XP complains about how expr crashed.

Please post the output of 'type -a expr' from a bash prompt.

> If I can get any help it would be greatly appreciated.. thank you
> Cygwin newb

It would help immensely if you read and followed the Cygwin problem
reporting guidelines at <http://cygwin.com/problems.html>, especially the
part about attaching (as an uncompressed text *attachment*) the output of
'cygcheck -svr'.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/