Setup 2.249.2.5, Package 'grep' 2.5-1, missing 'egrep.exe' and 'fgrep.exe'

G. Ken Holman gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com
Sun Feb 2 20:47:00 GMT 2003

At 2003-02-02 15:25 -0500, Christopher Faylor <cgf-cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:
>On Sun, Feb 02, 2003 at 03:05:07PM -0500, G. Ken Holman wrote:
> >I used to use one of the Cygwin B packages where the egrep.exe utility was
> >included.
>
>Sigh.

I apologize for having taken your time with this to warrant such an
exclamation.  I was citing my previous experience with Cygwin where I had
utilized an "exe" and created ".bat" files that pointed to it.  After
installing the new version my batch files stopped working.

> >I'm on an XP system and I downloaded replacement packages yesterday and
> >ensured that I included the "grep" package.
> >
> >I went to use "egrep.exe" and found it wasn't installed.  I did find an
> >egrep.1 but it just points to grep.
>
>egrep and fgrep are symbolic links to grep.exe.  Both work properly when
>invoked from bash.  I just checked.

Perhaps ... but I'm not running under bash and never have.  Did I miss a
documented restriction that the programs *only* run under bash?

Could there be a FAQ that says "where is the .exe I'm expecting?" ... when
not running in bash?  I did a search on the FAQ TOC for .exe and didn't
find anything.

I honestly tried to solve this without burdening the list with another
question, and was basing my question on my prior experience with the Cygwin
collection.

> >p.s. http://cygwin.com/bugs.html points to http://cygwin.com/lists.html and
> >says where *not* to send bugs, but not where bugs should be sent for
> >problems like this ... I would have thought that would be a FAQ: "which
> >bugs (by example) go to which mail lists?"
>
>The cygwin mailing list says that it is for "just about all things
>cygwin" with "two exceptions".
>
>Is grep, egrep, or fgrep listed as one of the two exceptions?

I now see the word "bugs" in the description that I had missed
earlier.  Sorry for my oversight.

Again, I apologize that I have taken your time; I was quite sincere in my
attempts to help the project.

................ Ken

--
Upcoming hands-on in-depth   Europe:         February 17-21, 2003
XSLT/XPath and/or XSL-FO     North America:      June 16-20, 2003

G. Ken Holman                mailto:gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com
Crane Softwrights Ltd.         http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/z/
Box 266, Kars, Ontario CANADA K0A-2E0   +1(613)489-0999 (F:-0995)
ISBN 0-13-065196-6                      Definitive XSLT and XPath
ISBN 0-13-140374-5                              Definitive XSL-FO
ISBN 1-894049-08-X  Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath
ISBN 1-894049-10-1              Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
Male Breast Cancer Awareness http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/z/bc