Why won't my files link?

Elfyn McBratney elfyn-cygwin@exposure.org.uk
Wed Feb 5 22:33:00 GMT 2003

> io_functions.o(.text+0x13): In function 'read_array':
> : undefined reference to 'fopen'
> io_functions.o(.text+0x4f): In function 'read_array':
> :undefined reference to 'printf'

O.K. Was this file, io_functions.o , compiled on Linux by any chance? Do you
have the source (io_functions.c) lying around so you can re-compile it and
see if you still get link errors?

My suspisions are that this file was indeed compiled on Linux and hense the
linking errors.

> there are more about missing printf... so either the file is not finding
> this fairly simple operation possible... or I am missing a library or
> something...
>
> then... these errors follow:
>
> main.o(.text+0x3f):main.c: undefined reference to '_read_array'
> main.o(.text+0x52):main.c: undefined reference to '_print_array'

This is due to the undefined referrences above.

> And it continues missing more methods... then...
>
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

This comes out because ld could not link the final executable image.

> That is all...  So yeah, what do you think?
>
> In addition, I would like to acknowledge that I realized I should have
> included the error messages sooner, but as my e-mail said, I was not in
> the position to run Cywgin and test my stuff again.  I merely wrote back
> to the list to send more info on my problem and to respond to the kind
> persons who had already e-mailed me.  I did this as a casual thing, not
> realizing that I was wasting so much precious time!  I am not writing to
> waste your time and I am not writing to get help with C or Linux, etc.  I
> merely thought that my problem was due to an inconsistency between the
> platforms, and was hoping someone could drop some hints.  Thank you for
> your time thus far, and I look forward to a response.

Dont worry about it! :-) Everyone starts somewhere. As long as you learn
from your, well not really but, mistakes then your all the wiser ::::-) I
don't mean this in a bad way what so ever.

Regards,

Elfyn McBratney
elfyn@exposure.org.uk
www.exposure.org.uk