The humble <DEL> and other editing keys

Randall R Schulz rrschulz@cris.com
Fri Feb 14 20:21:00 GMT 2003


Lee,

We don't approve of all that humor hereabouts.


This one _is_ documented in the BASH manual page. Here's the binding I use:

     "\M-[3~":   delete-char             # Delete

When you find this Readline action in the BASH manual page, you'll find 
all the other goodies you can program into BASH's handling of 
interactive input.


I'll also offer the hint that not all terminal emulators send the same 
sequence for a given key, but in this case both of the two common ones 
for Cygwin users, the console (character subsystem windows as presented 
by Cygwin) and RXVT generate the same sequence.


Randall Schulz

P.S. Thank you for leading me to a new word.


At 09:44 2003-02-14, Lee D. Rothstein wrote:
>Since at least 1979, when I started using Warren Montgomery's
>Emacs on System III UNIX, I have been annoyed with DEC's and
>RMS's treatment of the <DEL> (or <RUBOUT> key as they called
>it. In those days, I "reconfigured" my keyboard to fix this
>abortion.
>
>I want <DEL> to do what any self-respecting <DEL> should do,
>namely delete the character at the cursor.
>
>Anyone know how to do this with Cygwin command line editing?
>
>Anyway, to get <CTRL><right-arrow> or <CTRL><left-arrow> to
>move a word at a time?
>
>I am willing to accept RMS as my god, minus this one hamartia.
>;-) Help.
>
>Lest I forget:
>
>To all the Cygwin developers out there:
>
>- Thank you.
>- Outstanding work.
>- If you can "fix" Windoze, is there anything you can do about
>   the weather? ;-|)
>
>Thanks!
>
>Lee


--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/



More information about the Cygwin mailing list