error setting up ipc-daemon

Igor Pechtchanski pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Tue Feb 18 19:21:00 GMT 2003

Oops.  Boy, am I glad I augmented my comment with an "if you use
cygrunsrv"... :-D
The below still stands for launching services using cygrunsrv, though.
	Igor

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003, Randall R Schulz wrote:

> Igor,
>
> I was under the impression that the currently recommend way to get
> inetd running as a cygwin service was this:
>
>      inetd --install-as-service
>
> The resulting Windows service does not use cygrunsrv to invoke
> inetd--it is launched directly:
>
> Path to executable: D:\cygwin\usr\sbin\inetd.exe
>
> Randall Schulz
>

> At 10:01 2003-02-18, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> >Randall,
> >
> >An excerpt from "cygrunsrv --help" below
> >
> >   -e, --env <VAR=VALUE>     Optional environment strings which are added
> >                             to the environment when service is started.
> >                             You can add up to 255 environment strings using
> >                             the `--env' option.
> >                             Note: /bin is always added to $PATH to allow all
> >                             started applications to find at least
> > cygwin1.dll.
> >
> >shows that you shouldn't really need to add c:\cygwin\bin to your system
> >path (if one uses cygrunsrv, that is).  If that is not the case, then it's
> >a bug in cygrunsrv (or an error in documentation).
> >     Igor
> >
> >On Tue, 18 Feb 2003, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> >
> > > Daya,
> > >
> > > When I recently installed Cygwin anew on a system not my own and wanted
> > > to enable the Cygwin inetd, I had what might be the same problem. One
> > > thing that tipped me off was the fact that although the message was
> > > about the service not starting up "in a timely fashion," the failure
> > > occurred essentially immediately upon my attempt to manually start the
> > > service.
> > >
> > > It turned out that the system-wide PATH must contain the directory
> > > holding the Cygwin1.dll. I think that's because inetd is in /usr/sbin
> > > and Cygwin1.dll is in /bin (a.k.a. /usr/bin). Were they in the same
> > > directory, I don't think a PATH addition would be required to locate
> > > dependent DLLs.
> > >
> > > You'll also want to make sure that all your Cygwin mounts are system
> > > mounts, or they won't be seen by inetd and it may not be able to find
> > > other files it needs
> > >
> > > Randall Schulz

> --

				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

Oh, boy, virtual memory! Now I'm gonna make myself a really *big* RAMdisk!
  -- /usr/games/fortune