Win 2000 : Open Files With Word & Excel From The Command Line

Ajay Simha asimha@cisco.com
Wed Feb 19 22:29:00 GMT 2003

On Wed Feb 19 16:46:43 2003, Steve wrote:
> Hi;
>
> I managed to get my script "word" to open up word with the path I typed
> on the command line in cygwin.
>
> I am having trouble getting the same to work with excel.
>
> I am win 2000 and using cygwin.
>
> I made a script in /usr/local/bin called "excel".
>
> The script will boot up excel, but not with the file I specified.  I get
> error messages saying that the file does not exist.  Between the "==="
> lines are the different contests I have tried for my "excel" script:

Why bother with this?

Just use "cygstart filename.doc"
or "cygstart filename.xls"

and as long as you have setup default handlers for those filetypes it works.

I even use this inside my mailcap.

-ajay