Question re. export environment variable

Fred Ma fma@doe.carleton.ca
Thu Feb 20 16:59:00 GMT 2003

Hello,

I'm using cygwin bash 2.05b-8 (it's actually gnu).
I thought that $HOSTNAME was an environment
variable.  When I run gnu make (I'm pretty
sure this is not a make problem), $(HOSTNAME)
is empty.  It gets fixed if I do "export HOSTNAME"
before running make.

Is there a way to check if the export command
has been applied to $HOSTNAME?  Does the
actual transcription of $HOSTNAME's value to
the environment happen only once, when
"export" is applied, or is there a continual
monitoring an mirroring of changes to $HOSTNAME
forever after applying "export"?

Fred