Mkpasswd Documentation Deficit; Mkpasswd -c Working?

Joshua Daniel Franklin joshuadfranklin@yahoo.com
Thu Feb 20 23:47:00 GMT 2003

> > Pierre's recent suggestion to invoke "mkpasswd" with the "-c" option
> > sent me to the documentation to learn what that option does. Neither
> > "info" nor "man" document the "-c" option.
>
> Right, it's a very recent feature that has not made its way into the doc.
> It was designed for eventual use in a setup postinstall script, to reliably
> (no PDC access) build /etc/passwd for domain users.
> It now looks like it has another use.

Yes, it looks like it was implemented here:

http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-patches/2003-q1/msg00005.html

by... you, Pierre! I'm sorry I didn't catch this at the time, I
am subscribed to cygwin-patches for just the purpose of noticing things
that need changing in the documentation but most of the ntsec is over
my head and so I ignore it. Normally, though, when a new option is
added to one of the cygwin utils *the author of the new option*
documents it with a patch to utils.sgml (the theory being that the
someone who adds the patch understands best its usage). So could you
create a patch for utils.sgml? Thanks.

> While on this topic, the man page says "mkpasswd does not work on the
> Win9x series (Windows 95, 98, and Me)", which is not accurate.
> Using mkpasswd is a safe way to build /etc/passwd, and on Win95 the
> -u switch can be used to create entries with the specified name.

See above.