gcc2 instead gcc

Randall R Schulz rrschulz@cris.com
Sat Feb 22 17:38:00 GMT 2003

Christian,

Thorsten's delicate advice notwithstanding, if you installed the
"historic" GCC 2.95.3 compiler contained in the "gcc2" package, you
must use "gcc-2" to invoke it. Note that the package name has no
hyphen, but the compiler name does. Makefiles usually use the variable
CC to invoke the C compiler, so you can probably override make's or the
make-file's built-in default to use gcc-2 by doing something like this:

     CC=gcc-2 make

or
     export CC=gcc-2
     make

That might work for simple makefiles, but for more complicated software
with an auto-configuration script (presumably this applies to
PostgreSQL) you'll probably have to run "configure --help" to show you
which options allow you to specify an alternate compiler.

However, as Thorsten also hinted, there should be no need to use the
older compiler, certainly not for well-written code. It seems pretty
unlikely that PostgreSQL must be compiled with an old compiler.

Randall Schulz