mknod implementation? any idea when it will occur?

Randall R Schulz rrschulz@cris.com
Mon Feb 24 23:21:00 GMT 2003

Robert,

Mknod itself is scarcely the issue, is it? Device node file system
entries are just a way of making contact in user-land (or is it
file-system-land?) with "kernel" software entities such as drivers or
special file types.

The real issue is getting the implementation of those special kernel
software entities.

That certainly goes for a loopback device or named pipes, a random
number generator (at least one of which already exists, of course) and so on.

Does Cygwin have a loopback block device? Does it have named pipes?

Randall Schulz

At 13:44 2003-02-24, Robert Citek wrote:

>At 01:28 PM 2/24/2003 -0800, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> >Please clarify what use your software makes of mknod.
> >
> >Do I guess correctly that what you really want are named pipes?
>
>I don't know about others, but I would use mknod for a loopback block
>device.  Then I could mount images of filesystems, e.g. ISOs, floppies, etc.
>
>Regards,
>- Robert
>

>--

Randy