loopback devise (was Re: mknod implementation? ... )

Randall R Schulz rrschulz@cris.com
Tue Feb 25 17:46:00 GMT 2003

Robert,

I don't think a loopback device in Cygwin would get you anywhere.
Cygwin doesn't implement file systems. It's notion of "mounting" is
very different from that of Unix or even Windows. A Cygwin mount is
just a kind of name mapping, really (with a few options attached to the
mount such as default file access mode, in the text vs. binary sense).

Even if you had a file system image in a file (even if it was a file
system format supported by Windows), a loopback device supported by
Cygwin wouldn't get you anywhere. Possibly Windows itself would be
amenable to this concept of a loopback driver, but the loopback driver
would have to be a Windows driver. If you had a Windows loopback driver
and a Linux file system image file, you'd still be stuck, since Windows
includes no file system driver for non-Windows file systems (though
there may well be 3rd-party drivers for that purpose).

Randall Schulz