mem allocation / heap_chunk

Igor Pechtchanski pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Thu Feb 27 18:01:00 GMT 2003


On Thu, 27 Feb 2003, Fabrice Marchal wrote:

> Hi,
> I have come accross the 384 Mb limit for allocating memory in cygwin.
> (e.g.  char* pnt = new char[ long size = 500*1024*1024 ]; will not work )
>
> I have been able to modify this using the workaround documented in the
> Users Guide (http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/setup-maxmem.html)
>
> I would like to know if there is a way to do the same within code so
> that end-users
> who receive a cygwin-compiled code do not require to go into the hassle of
> using regtool or regedit
>
> Is that feasible?
>
> Thanks
> fm

Sure.  Write a script that uses regtool.  Make it a postinstall script,
put a "Reboot or restart Cygwin" in the README.  It would be more robust
if you also check the heap_chunk value before writing to it, in case the
user already has it set to something higher.
	Igor
-- 
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
ZZZzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_		igor@watson.ibm.com
     |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'		Igor Pechtchanski
    '---''(_/--'  `-'\_) fL	a.k.a JaguaR-R-R-r-r-r-.-.-.  Meow!

Oh, boy, virtual memory! Now I'm gonna make myself a really *big* RAMdisk!
  -- /usr/games/fortune


--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/



More information about the Cygwin mailing list