mem allocation / heap_chunk

Fabrice Marchal fmarchal@inf.ethz.ch
Thu Feb 27 18:11:00 GMT 2003

Randall R Schulz wrote:

> Fabrice,
>
> It would seem that the answer is right there on the page you
> referenced. You can script a change to that registry entry via the
> Cygwin regtool script. You can do this in an install or post-install
> script or upon each invocation of your application, providing it's
> invoked via a script.

I can write a script, but then it would require to install cygwin and
bash (and maybe other things) for the
end-user, while at the moment I just provide the cygwin.dll. I was
looking for something that uses the
cygwin_XXX API.

Regards,
Fabrice

> The man page for regtool includes sufficient detail to enable you to
> incorporate this sort of functionality in your software.
>
> I recommend that you consider carefully the logic you use to alter the
> "heap_chunk_in_mb" key so that you don't undermine an existing
> customization already applied by your end user.
>
> Randall Schulz
>

> At 08:18 2003-02-27, Fabrice Marchal wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I have come accross the 384 Mb limit for allocating memory in cygwin.
>> (e.g.  char* pnt = new char[ long size = 500*1024*1024 ]; will not
>> work )
>>
>> I have been able to modify this using the workaround documented in the
>> Users Guide (http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/setup-maxmem.html)
>>
>> I would like to know if there is a way to do the same within code so
>> that end-users
>> who receive a cygwin-compiled code do not require to go into the
>> hassle of
>> using regtool or regedit
>>
>> Is that feasible?
>>
>> Thanks
>> fm
>

> --

Fabrice Marchal           http://www.inf.ethz.ch/~fmarchal
fabrice.marchal@ieee.org  fmarchal@inf.ethz.ch        +41-(0)1-632-56-79
ETH Zurich, Computational Science and Engineering FAX:+41-(0)1-632-17-03