bash's (built-in) type command can not handle spaces in paths

Jeremy Hetzler jeremyhetzler@mail.earthlink.net
Fri Feb 28 09:56:00 GMT 2003

At 03:19 PM 2/27/2003 -0800, Curtis Siemens wrote:
>Cygwin's type command (built into bash.exe) does not work for
>executables that are under a directory that has spaces.

Well, it seems to work OK for me:
---
501 $ mkdir /foo\ bar
502 $ touch /foo\ bar/baz
503 $ chmod a+x /foo\ bar/baz
504 $ PATH=/usr/bin:/foo\ bar
505 $ type baz
baz is /foo bar/baz
506 $ bash --version
GNU bash, version 2.05b.0(8)-release (i686-pc-cygwin)
---

This is cygwin 1.3.20-1 on win2k sp3, CYGWIN=tty. And you're right, it
hasn't come up on the list before, so probably others aren't seeing it
either. What is different about your particular installation, I have no idea.

Jeremy Hetzler