ssmtp and cron

Matthias Bobzien bobzien@ikg.uni-bonn.de
Mon Jan 13 02:54:00 GMT 2003

Dirk Ziegenbalg wrote:

> can somebody help me please!!!!
> I've got cron and ssmtp to run. It works fine.
> When cron is started and wants to mail me a message, then there was two error-entries in the eventlog und windows 2000. First tells me:
>
> sSMTP mail : Win32 Process Id = 0x668 : Cygwin Process Id = 0x66C : unable to create a socket..
>
> and the second:
>
> sSMTP mail : Win32 Process Id = 0x668 : Cygwin Process Id = 0x66C : can't open the smtp port (25) on mail.gmx.de..
>
> because of the first error.
> When I call ssmtp from the commandline then it works fine.
>
> I've give it up after two days of trying. Cron did his work. But I want his messages! Any ideas?

Hi,

funny, I had the same problems several months ago, tried to resolve it
and finally gave up.

I have the same symptoms: cron works, ssmtp works, but cron can't send
mails via ssmtp.

'wget' doesn't work with cron either, and I get an additional
information message within the eventlog:

/usr/sbin/cron : Win32 Process Id = 0x60C : Cygwin Process Id = 0x60C :
(bobzien) MAIL (mailed 735 bytes of output but got status 0xffffffff

Maybe someone can help us with this problem? I'll attach the output of
'cygcheck -s -v -r' and my 'ssmtp.conf'.

Matthias

--
Matthias Bobzien
bobzien@ikg.uni-bonn.de