General comments...

Dave Hooper dave@beermex.com
Mon Jan 13 03:04:00 GMT 2003

> I'm on a P4 2.64Ghz/512 DDR-RAM/Over 100Gb HD Space and it's slow for me
> ;-) I do like the the idea of a prograss dialog when setup is reading the
> packages from lcoal disk though.

The major spot I've noticed with slowness is when if you click on the text
"Default" in the packages list (initial view, so whatever that is,
Curr/All I guess), and it takes a million years (without an hourglass) to
change to "Install" (or whatever the next setting is :-) ).  On several
occasions I've found myself repeatedly clicking it, just in case it missed
my previous clicks, meaning that it skips past Default and goes to
Uninstall or something... Bah.  Infuriating.

Oh, something somewhere also leaks memory like a seive.  I tried to do a
full install (of, yes, everything), and halfway through downloading the
perl package it started gobbling memory until it fell over.  I have over a
gig of swap space and at the time nothing else was using it ;-)

>> Minimal support for handling this in a good manner would be to
>> display information regarding whether the utility needs the line to be
>> up or not.
>
> Isn't that kinda up to the user. When you finish downloading new packages
> you kill your internet connection as cygwin setup won't need it.

I totally disagree.  Cygwin setup has two phases, download and install.
Install takes almost as long as download on many machines!  So in an ideal
world Cygwin would automatically hang up if it had initially autodialled
the internet connection  (maybe it does this, I'm not on dial up), or pop
up a message box saying "Finished downloading, click OK to install" or
similar.

Is the source for setup.exe in cvs anyway?