sshd/passwd

Erik Moreau erik.moreau@mcgill.ca
Mon Jan 13 03:04:00 GMT 2003


At 10:53 1/8/2003 -0500, you wrote:

>On Wed, 8 Jan 2003, Erik Moreau wrote:
>
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I'll do my best to be as clear as possible with my setup.
> >
> > I have installed Cygwin on my Win2k machine successfully. My goal is to
> > setup sshd so that I may connect to work from home in a secure fashion. I
> > have installed sshd and ran ssh-host-config with no problem. I try to run
> > ssh-user-config but I get the following message:
> >         emoreau@CICHLID ~
> > $ ssh-user-config
> > /home/emoreau
> > /home/emoreau is set in /etc/passwd as your home directory
> > but it is not a valid directory. Cannot create user identity files.
> >
> > In my /etc/passwd I have the following:
> > SYSTEM:*:18:544:,S-1-5-18::
> > Administrators:*:544:544:,S-1-5-32-544::
> > 
> admin:unused_by_nt/2000/xp:500:513:Administrator,U-CICHLID\admin,S-1-5-21-1390067357-1677128483-1957994488-500:/home/admin:/bin/bash
> > 
> emoreau:unused_by_nt/2000/xp:1002:513:U-CICHLID\emoreau,S-1-5-21-1390067357-1677128483-1957994488-1002:/home/emoreau:/bin/bash
> > erik:unused_by_nt/2000/xp:1000:513:Erik 
> Moreau,U-CICHLID\erik,S-1-5-21-1390067357-1677128483-1957994488-1000:/home/erik:/bin/bash
> > 
> Guest:unused_by_nt/2000/xp:501:513:U-CICHLID\Guest,S-1-5-21-1390067357-1677128483-1957994488-501:/home/Guest:/bin/bash
> > sshd:unused_by_nt/2000/xp:1001:513:sshd 
> privsep,U-CICHLID\sshd,S-1-5-21-1390067357-1677128483-1957994488-1001:/var/empty:/bin/bash
> > 
> emoreau:unused_by_nt/2000/xp:1002:513:U-CICHLID\emoreau,S-1-5-21-1390067357-1677128483-1957994488-1002:/home/emoreau:/bin/bash
> >
> > I log in to the network with the user name "emoreau", but there is no UID
> > assigned? I ran mkpasswd -l > /ect/passwd with no results. I know that I
> > have two emoreau's. I'm going to delete the last one.
> >
> > Any help would be much appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Erik
>
>Erik,
>
>I may be restating the obvious here, but do you HAVE a directory named
>/home/emoreau?  The error message seems to indicate that you don't.  In
>that case creating it might do the trick.  In fact, logging in via ssh
>using password authentication should result in running /etc/profile as
>emoreau, which should create the directory if it doesn't exist.
>
>If you do have it, is it owned by the user emoreau?  Is it writeable by
>that user?  Is that the user that runs ssh-user-config?  If not, is
>/home/emoreau writeable by the user that runs ssh-user-config?
>         Igor
>--
>                                 http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
>       |\      _,,,---,,_                pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
>ZZZzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_            igor@watson.ibm.com
>      |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'           Igor Pechtchanski
>     '---''(_/--'  `-'\_) fL     a.k.a JaguaR-R-R-r-r-r-.-.-.  Meow!
>
>Oh, boy, virtual memory! Now I'm gonna make myself a really *big* RAMdisk!
>   -- /usr/games/fortune
>
>
>--
>Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
>Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
>Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
>FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
>
>
>
>---
>Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.
>Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
>Version: 6.0.435 / Virus Database: 244 - Release Date: 12/30/2002


Here's an answer to a question brought up.

"do you HAVE a directory named /home/emoreau?"

emoreau@CICHLID /home
$ ls -l
total 0
drwxrwxrwx+   2 emoreau  65535           0 Nov 22 09:17 admin
drwxrwxrwx+   2 emoreau  65535           0 Jan  8 09:40 emoreau

If I do a "w" I get the following:

emoreau@CICHLID /home
$ w
  11:54:47 up 1 day, 21:23,  0 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
USER     TTY      FROM              LOGIN@   IDLE   JCPU   PCPU  WHAT

It is like no one is logged in? But the promt says that emoreau is logged 
in. I tried the "login" command and used this username, but no password I 
use works?

Erik 


--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/



More information about the Cygwin mailing list