Slowness when setting PS1 variable???
Paul T. Karch
pkarch@stargate.net
Mon Jan 13 03:23:00 GMT 2003
I have a Pentium III 500 MHz 256 M w/ Windows 98 2nd Ed.
I downloaded and installed Cygwin about 2 days ago.
I tried your test with whoami and I could not discern
any time difference between the two "methods" of invoking
whoami. Just a bit of information FWIW.
Paul T. Karch
----- Original Message -----
From: "Thomas Chadwick" <j_tetazoo@hotmail.com>
To: <cygwin@cygwin.com>
Sent: Wednesday, January 08, 2003 9:35 AM
Subject: RE: Slowness when setting PS1 variable???
> Update. I've further observed that while running whoami at the
command-line
> returns a result immediately, running it inside a pair of back-tics "`"
> shows the blocking behavior. For instance, if I do this:
>
> $ whoami
>
> I get a result immediately.
>
> However, if I do this:
>
> $ echo `whoami`
>
> It takes a good 5-10 seconds to print a value and return the prompt.
>
>
> _________________________________________________________________
> MSN 8 with e-mail virus protection service: 2 months FREE*
> http://join.msn.com/?page=features/virus
>
>
> --
> Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
> Bug reporting: http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
> Documentation: http://cygwin.com/docs.html
> FAQ: http://cygwin.com/faq/
>
>
--
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting: http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation: http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ: http://cygwin.com/faq/
More information about the Cygwin
mailing list