emacs error ad-Orig-documentation called with 5 arguments

Dan Holmsand dan@eyebee.com
Fri Jan 17 19:20:00 GMT 2003

Robert Mecklenburg wrote:
> I'm getting the following error in the x-enabled version of cygwin
> emacs:
>
>   ** ad-Orig-documentation called with 5 arguments, but accepts only 1-2

I think the problem is with the original documentation function itself,
not with advice.

M-x describe-function documentation yields

"documentation is a built-in function.
[Missing arglist.  Please make a bug report.]"

(as well as some garbage) in the x-enabled emacs 21.2-11, instead of

"documentation is a built-in function.
(documentation FUNCTION &optional RAW)"

as it should be (and is in emacs-nox and x-enabled emacs 21.2-9). I
guess that advice is simply fooled by the erroneous arg-list that
documentation reports.

/dan