gcc-2 ..../bin/as.exe: Permission denied

Dario Alcocer alcocer@helixdigital.com
Sun Jan 19 20:37:00 GMT 2003

On Fri, Jan 17, 2003 at 04:35:15PM +1100, Brendan Kosowski wrote:
> I have just installed cygwin on win98se using setup.exe. I selected gcc-2
> as the only extra on top of the base install. I told setup that I am the
> only user and I use unix style text files.
>
> When I run "Cygwin Bash Shell" and try to compile a C program in my home
> dir (eg. "gcc-2 -o mytest.exe mytest.c ) I get the following error
> message:
>
> gcc-2: installation problem, cannot exec
> '/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-cygwin/2.95.3-10/../../../../i686-pc-cygwin/
> bin/as.exe': Permission denied

Just curious; are you running Windows stand-alone, or in an emulated
environment?  I ran into a very similar problem as yours yesterday
using gcc-3 (also running Windows 98 SE), but running under Win4Lin.

What I found in my case is that Cygwin symbolic links lose the DOS
system attribute after Win4Lin shuts down.  Since
.../i686-pc-cygwin/bin/as.exe is supposed to a symbolic link to
/usr/bin/as.exe, gcc cannot run the assembler due to the broken
symbolic link.  I verified that this does not happen under a
stand-alone (non-Win4Lin) Win98SE installation; the system attribute
persists between reboots.

Check the attributes for C:\cygwin\usr\i686-pc-cygwin\bin\as.exe
from a DOS command line using the 'attrib' command.  If the 'S'
flag isn't displayed, then reset the system attributes using the
command 'attrib +s *.exe'.

--
Dario Alcocer -- Sr. Software Developer, Helix Digital Inc.
alcocer@helixdigital.com -- http://www.helixdigital.com