cvs wont connect to remote

Patrick Nelson pnelson@neatech.com
Tue Jan 21 13:08:00 GMT 2003

Win98 with new install of cygwin (including cvs).

CVS repository is on a remote Linux system.  Everyone can connect to this
system which is running pserver.  Even this Win98 system can connect using
WinCVS.

On my cygwin system a "echo $CVSROOT" correctly reveals
:pserver:pnelson@<systemname>:<full path to cvs repos>

On the cygwin call of "cvs login" the response is:

 (Logging in to pnelson@<systemname>)
 CVS password:

after entering the valid password I get:

 <full path to cvs repos>: no such repository
 cvs login: authorization failed: server cvs.npn rejected access to <full
path to cvs repos> for user pnelson

I have tried everything that I can think of to get this working but it just
will not log in.  <full path to cvs repos> does exist on the remote system.
I did notice that my Linux clients display something a little different when
entering "cvs login":

 Logging in to :pserver:pnelson@<systemname>:2401/<full path to cvs repos>
 CVS password:

and entering the correct password allows all other cvs commands to work.
I'm not sure why cygwin cvs doesn't display the pserver stuff after you
enter "cvs login" or even if it matters.  I just don't see anything else.
Any ideas?